National Park Service

Alaska Region I&M (AKR) Home Page

Alaska I&M Networks

AKR Network Map
Click to see Larger
Network Map
Follow Us :

Facebook logo Twitter logo YouTube logo
Find your park logo

Base Cartography Inventory

Alagnak Wild River Katmai National Park and Preserve Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Lake Clark National Park and Preserve Sitka National Historical Park Kenai Fjords National Park Bering Land Bridge National Preserve  Denali National Park and Preserve Aniakchak National Monument and Preserve Cape Krusenstern National Monument - near infra red Kobuk Valley National Park Noatak National Preserve Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve 3 D image of White Pass in Klondike Gold Rush NHP Yukon-Charley Rivers National Preserve - color infra red

Base Cartography Inventory Products by Park
(Image Mosaics)

The Integrated Resource Management Applications (IRMA) system is the primary distribution point for maps, reports and data.
For more information contact Parker Martyn.

The base cartography inventory emphasizes acquisition and updating of digital elevation models (DEMs) and high-resolution orthorectified imagery holdings for use within geographic information systems (GIS) and remote sensing applications. Using DEMs and high-resolution imagery the Inventory Program strives to develop standardized orthometric products that meet National Map Accuracy Standards (NMAS) for 1:24,000 scale (+/- 12m horizontal accuracy) imagery. We accomplish this objective using data from commercial satellite and airphoto vendors procured through contracts and/or interagency agreements. Base cartography products provide foundations for inventories, including the vegetation and soil inventories, and among other uses they facilitate project planning, data analysis, and verification of GIS data.

Status - 88% Complete – To date, high resolution (1m) imagery for all Alaska parks has been obtained. Imagery for approximately 48 million acres (88%) of Alaska parklands have been ortho-rectified. The remaining 6 million acres (12%) have high resolution imagery acquired and are awaiting improved DEMS for the ortho-rectification process to occur. To view a map that shows the current status of DEM acquisitions for the State of Alaska, see the status map.

More information can also be found on the Service-wide National Park Service Base Cartography Inventory Webpage.

Last Updated: March 01, 2017 Contact Webmaster